Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Women’s Health and Smoking




I have often been told that as a woman I should not touch a cigarette, often by smokers of the opposite gender. Every one of those times I had reacted quite violently. What gave any man who smokes the right to tell me that I shouldn’t be doing what he does? What sort of hypocrisy is that? The feminist side of me never could accept that I should not be doing something simply because I am a woman. Mind you, I don’t really smoke myself. But even then, I don’t see why I should not react to such comments.


But, even though I do leap up and protest every time, I know that there is some truth to what people say about women and smoking. Let’s just accept it. Smoking is no good for men either. What good is that cancer stick going to do their lungs and skin anyway, except cause bronchitis, cancer and what not? All these risks are true for women too. The only difference is that, there are some added problems for them.



Women have the added responsibility of giving birth and sometimes, preventing it. This is where the cigarettes create a prominent hindrance. It is a known fact that smokers in general have reduced fertility. Men, this goes for you too. In today’s times, people generally do not want to have kids in their early twenties or so, as was the prevalent system in earlier times. Today’s career oriented woman wants to have kids only when she has a stable career of her own. This means that, women generally want to have children in their late twenties or thirties. In general, the risk of not being able to conceive is increased at higher ages. This danger is much more aggravated for women who smoke.


If you are thinking that the above is not going to be a problem for you, then let us talk about the consequent problems which women smokers can face. Most women today often take contraceptive pills which can allow them the hassle of getting pregnant when it is not desired. This is something that smoking women are advised to avoid at all costs. Even if women under thirty five can afford to take the risk of combining birth control pills and contraceptives with cigarettes, those above the mentioned age should not try it at all. The resultant problems can get pretty serious.

So yes, it is true that women face greater problems from smoking than men. So, let us be intelligent and give up what is not good for us. Health is much more precious than any addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment